Photo Contest Rules
L.A. TIMES FESTIVAL OF BOOKS/USC PHOTO CONTEST
The L.A. Times Festival of Books/USC Photo Contest (“Contest”) starts at 9:00 am (PT) on March 1, 2013 and ends at 9:00 am (PT) on April 12, 2013 (“Contest Period”). The sponsors of this Contest are the University of Southern California, BKS 400, MC 2542, 3551 Trousdale Parkway, Los Angeles, CA 90089 and Los Angeles Times Communications LLC (“LA Times”), 202 West First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (“Sponsors”). The Contest will be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all participants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions herein.
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
2) Eligibility: Contest is limited to amateur photographers only. An amateur is defined as an individual earning 10 percent or less of his/her income from photography. This Contest is open to legal U.S. residents residing the 50 United States or DC who are 18 years and older as of the first day of the Contest Period. Employees (and the employees’ immediate family members (parent, child, spouse or sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in the same household, whether related or not) of the Sponsors and of their advertising companies, parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotion contractors and/or public relations companies, are not eligible to participate. A potential winner may be requested to provide the Sponsors with proof all eligibility requirements are met. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
3) How to Enter: Submit an original photograph (the “Photo”) (without a caption) that depicts a literary moment—a favorite reading spot, re-creation of a scene from a book, interpretation of a book title, improvised book cover, or your interpretation of an author, figure, or character. Do not just copy the book. Sponsors are looking for your interpretation and commentary on the underlying work. The Photo can be a parody, but it should be your interpretation and reflect what the underlying work means to you. [Note: you should not use these photos in advertising.] To be eligible, a Photo must not contain identifiable logos or trademarks and must not violate the rights of any person. You can submit your entry online at https://festivalofbooks.usc.edu or by mail to Festival of Books Photo Contest, 3434 S. Grand Avenue, CAL-140, Los Angeles, CA 90089-2818. Mail-in entries must be postmarked by April 8, 2013 and received by April 12, 2013, and online entries must be received by the close of the Contest Period. If you submit your entry through the website, you must accurately complete the online entry form. If you submit your entry by mail, you must include your name, home address, date of birth, telephone number, and email address, and your contact information must be accurate. Limit one entry per outer mailing envelope. Altered or electronically enhanced images will not be considered. Limit one entry per person. Entries that do not adhere to the Official Rules will be disqualified and rejected. Sponsors reserve the right to determine in their sole discretion which entries satisfy the entry requirements. Sponsors will not notify contestants whether their Submission has been rejected or accepted. Submissions made by any other individual (other than the contestant) or any entity, and/or originating at any other web site or email address (other than the contestant’s), including but not limited to commercial promotion subscription notification and/or entering service sites, will be declared invalid and disqualified for this Contest. The use of any device to automate the entry process is prohibited. The LA Times’ computer clock will be the official clock of the Contest. Information submitted in conjunction with this Contest will be jointly owned by Sponsors, and the Sponsors will treat the information in accordance with their respective privacy policies, which can be found at: http://privacy.tribune.com/ and http://policies.usc.edu/p2admOpBus/privacy_personal_information.html. If there is a dispute regarding the identity of a contestant, the holder of the email account will be deemed the person who submitted the Submission.
4) Selection of Winners and Notification: On or about April 18, 2013, a panel of judges designated by Sponsors will select one first place winner and two honorable mention winners based on the following criteria (all of which will be weighed equally): originality, creativity, and how strongly the Photo reflects the book’s message and contestant’s interpretation of that message. Contestants agree that all decisions made by the judges relating to any and all issues related to this Contest are final and binding. Sponsors will attempt to notify the potential winner by telephone or by email using the information provided in the entry form by end of business on April 18, 2013. If a winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within 72 hours of first notification attempt, if a winner does not fulfill the eligibility requirements, if a winner does not adhere to the Official Rules, or if the prize notification is returned as undeliverable, that winner will be disqualified and Sponsors will select a new potential winner by the same criteria set forth above. Winner will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability Release and a Publicity Release. If the Photo contains a readily identifiable person or people, winners may be asked to submit the name, address, and phone number of each person who is readily identifiable in the Photo and to submit a Photo Release and Waiver of Liability signed by each identifiable person (or person’s parent or legal guardian if that subject is a minor in his or her state of residence) in the photograph. Failure to return all such documents set forth herein within seven days of the date Sponsors send such documents to winner will result in the winner being disqualified and another winner may be selected from remaining eligible entries, based on the criteria set forth above.
5) Prizes: One First Prize: Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader. ARV: $200.00. 2 Honorable Mention prizes: $100.00 Barnes & Noble gift card. Total ARV of all prizes: $400.00. Gift cards subject to terms and conditions thereon. Prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash, and prize substitution will not be allowed, except at the discretion of the Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if listed prize or portion thereof is unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for applicable federal, state and local taxes, where applicable, in connection with the prize. All properly claimed prizes will be awarded, provided a sufficient number of eligible entries are received, but in no event will Sponsors award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules.
6) Submitted Materials: By submitting a Photo, each contestant represents and warrants that no laws were broken in the creation of the Photo and that their Photo is their own original creation or that they have all rights necessary to submit the Photo in the Contest, has not been copied in whole from any other work, has not been previously published, does not violate the rights of any other person or company (including but not limited to privacy rights, publicity rights, trademark rights and copyrights), does not defame, libel, or slander anyone or any entity, and does not contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene or profane content. Contestants agree to indemnify, defend and hold Sponsors and their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, licensors, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents (“Contest Entities”) harmless against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, debts, investigations, fines, penalties, costs, expenses and settlements (including attorneys’ fees and costs of litigation, settlement, judgment, interest and penalties) arising out of or related to a breach of the foregoing representations and warranties. Contestants grant to Sponsors an irrevocable, world-wide, fully-paid, perpetual license to use their Photos in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, in any manner related to the Contest, without prior notice, approval or compensation. Contestants otherwise will retain all rights to their Photos, and the Sponsors’ publication of their Photos will not limit their use and ability to further market the Photos. Each contestant agrees that Sponsors have no obligation to use or continue using such contestant’s Photo. Photos that do not comply with these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by Sponsors, in their sole discretion, will be disqualified and will not be considered for the prize. Sponsors make the final determination as to which Photos are eligible to take part in this Contest and may be considered for the prizes. Certain Photos may be featured from time to time on the Contest website during the Contest, in Sponsors’ sole discretion; being selected as a featured Submission is unrelated to the judging criteria (as described above) and does not guarantee selection as the prize winner in the Contest.
7) Responsibility Release: By entering, contestants agree to release, waive, and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, and liability arising from injuries (including death), damages, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney’s fees) incurred as a result of the contestants’ participation in this Contest and/or their acceptance, use, or misuse of the prize or element thereof.
8) Publicity: By entering this Contest, contestants agree to allow use of their name, voice, photograph, likeness, any information provided on entry form, and any statement provided by them in any medium of communication, including but not limited to print, Internet, radio and/or television and for any purpose, including advertising, promotional or other purposes, by Sponsors and their licensees and affiliates, in perpetuity, without additional compensation or consideration, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law.
9) Internet/Fraud/Waiver: The Contest Entities are not responsible for printing or typographical errors in any Contest-related materials; for entries that are late, misdirected, deleted, incomplete, inaccurate, or garbled or entries that are processed, reported, or transmitted late or incorrectly or are lost for any reason, including computer, telephone, paper transfer, human or other error, or for electronic, computer or telephonic malfunction or error, including inability to access any website associated with this Contest, or process any transaction thereon. If there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest promotional materials and the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, these Official Rules will prevail and govern. If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this Contest or any web site associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of the Contest and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by contestants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Sponsors’ opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Internet portion of this Contest. If the Internet portion of this Contest is cancelled, the judges panel will select winners by applying the criteria set forth above to all eligible, non-suspect online entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation and all eligible mail-in entries received by the deadline set forth above. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted at http://immortalsphotocontest.tumblr.com. ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE (INCLUDING THE ENTRY SITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsors reserve the right to prohibit any contestant from participating in the Contest if, at its sole discretion, Sponsors find that such contestant repeatedly shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent, these Official Rules, or acts: (a) in a manner the Sponsors determine to be not fair or equitable; (b) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other contestant or Sponsors; or (c) in any other disruptive manner. Neither the failure of Sponsors to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsors in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsors’ right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
10) Disputes: This Contest is governed by, and will be construed in accordance with, the laws of the state of California without regard to choice of law rules or principles. If not resolved through direct discussions, any claim will be resolved by final and binding arbitration with an experienced arbitrator licensed to practice law in California, forum and venue for any arbitration proceedings will be in Los Angeles County, California. The remedy for any claim will be subjected to all limitations and releases set forth in these Official Rules, be limited to actual out of pocket damages, and will not, in any event, include any punitive, exemplary, consequential or incidental damages, attorney’s fees or costs or bringing a claim, or any injunctive or other equitable relief.
Winners List: Official Winners List will be available online at festivalofbooks.usc.edu after April 15.